Friday, August 28, 2009

August 28: Metheny Likes Catching “A Couple of Times A Week”

In two games this past week, Brent Metheny crouched behind the plate at Canwest Park and did one thing that has happened only rarely for the Winnipeg Goldeyes this season.

He threw out runners trying to steal second.

In an effort to get Metheny’s bat into the line-up and also improve his ball club’s defence, Goldeyes manager Rick Forney decided to put the veteran from West Virginia behind the plate.

He was an immediate success.

On Tuesday night against the Joliet JackHammers, the 28-year-old Metheny went four-for-four at the plate, scored four runs and threw out two runners trying to steal in a 12-7 win. On Wednesday, he called Ace Walker’s four-hit masterpiece and didn’t have to throw out a runner – nobody tried to steal – in a 2-1 victory.

Metheny has been tremendous this week and while he likes the job, he really doesn’t want to do it every day.

“I do like it, I like catching,” Metheny said. “I’d like to do it a couple of times a week. I’m not sure I could do it for an entire season. It takes a toll on your body. But it is fun. I like it when people try to steal. Although, in Tuesday night’s game, it helped when Ian (Thomas) came into the game. It’s always easier for a catcher to throw to second base when it’s a lefty. Guys don’t get as big a lead against left-handers.

“I was hurting a little (after the first game behind the plate), but I’ll be good. In a perfect world, catching two or three times a week would be the way to go.”

Besides throwing out runners on Tuesday, Metheny also did a good job calling Walker’s brilliant performance on Wednesday, but he wouldn’t take any credit for it.

“I called the game, but it doesn’t hurt me one bit to have a pitcher shake me off,” Metheny said. “I’d rather have the pitcher happy with what he’s throwing than worry about throwing something I asked for. I go out and tell my pitcher that I’ll put down the signs, but if you don’t like it, just shake me off.”

Catching might not be what Metheny wants to do for the rest of his career, but with this year’s playoffs looming, it’s probably the best place for the veteran right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment