Saturday, September 5, 2009

September 5: Cruse Brilliant As Goldeyes Take 2-1 Series Lead



Andrew Cruse gave all the credit to his teammates. Even though the Goldeyes starter in Game 3 of the Northern League semi-final pitched a sensational four-hit shutout, he was more interested in praising the defence behind him than taking credit for the best start of this year’s playoffs.

Of course, it’s not every day you get out of a jam with a triple play.

“I’m just ecstatic about that game,” said Cruse, shortly after the Goldeyes had beaten Fargo-Moorhead 5-0 to take a 2-1 series lead. “I could not have done it without that great defence behind me.

“I mean, I’ve never seen a triple play before, let alone be on the mound when one took place. Those guys had my back tonight. I was really happy with the way I pitched, but that defence was just great. What more can you say about the way those guys played.”

In the box score, this game looks like a tidy complete game, four-hit shutout. But the game-within-the-game suggests something completely different.

In the first inning, the RedHawks got runners on first and second with one out, but a double play put an end to the threat. Then, in the second inning, with Mike Coles at first and Nic Jackson at second, Ruben Salazar hit a ground ball to Vince Harrison at third. Harrison tagged Jackson between second and third, fired to Josh Asanovich at second to get Coles and then Asanovich made a terrific turn at second and fired a strike to first baseman Cody Ehlers to get Salazar.

It was the first triple play in Goldeyes history to back up only the third complete game shutout in franchise playoff history.

In the third inning, Cruse got into a bit of trouble once again, but after a visit from manager Rick Forney, he settled down and allowed only two hits and two walks the rest of the way.

“He came out and talked to me and got me re-centred,” Cruse said. “He wanted me to make an adjustment and I went ahead and did it and then just settled down and threw strikes. And with the guys playing so well behind me, it all just fell into place.”

There were tremendous plays made in the field by Cory Patton (diving catch in centre), Harrison (a barehanded play on a slow roller at third), Ehlers (diving for a grounder in the hole between first and second) and Dee Brown (covering up for Patton who lost a fly ball in the lights).

Meanwhile, the Goldeyes got a solo homer from Juan Diaz (his second of this series) and a two-run bomb from Ehlers (his second homer of the series), built a 5-0 lead by the fourth inning and took a 2-1 series lead with Game 4 at Canwest Park tonight at 6:00.

“Andrew was just sensational out there,” Forney said. “He challenged the hitters, threw strikes and did more than we could have asked. It was just an outstanding effort. I only had a couple of available pitchers down in the bullpen and with Andrew pitching as well as he did, I was able to keep those guys out of the ball game. Now, thanks to Andrew, I have a lot of options in the bullpen for Game 4.”

No comments:

Post a Comment