Thursday, January 28, 2010

January 28: Wes Long Is "At 95 Per Cent, Ready To Go Today"

The 2009 Northern League season started out so promisingly for Goldeyes shortstop Wes Long.

The 27-year-old was hitting .343 over the first 41 games with three homers, 15 doubles and 15 stolen bases in his first 166 at-bats, and had just been named to represent Winnipeg at the Northern League All-Star Game.

But on June 30, Schaumburg catcher Richard Mercado went well inside the baseline to break up a double play and took out Long in the process. It was a crushing collision that left Long with a broken ankle and on the shelf for the rest of the season.

And while the Goldeyes played well down the stretch, it was obvious come playoff time that they missed Long's glove and bat.

Back in Seattle, where he’s spent the off-season working two jobs, working out daily and running a small business on the side, Long is just itching to get back to Winnipeg.

He gets up every morning and goes to work at a neighbourhood Starbucks, then spends the afternoon and early evening selling home furnishings at a Restortation Hardware. In the evenings, he works out, does his physio and operates the Wes Long Baseball Academy.

Not surprisingly, Long is anxious to put the off-season behind him in favour of the regular season.

"It’s only January and I’ve already had a long off-season since the end of June and I just want to bet back up there and start playing,” he said. “I’m ready to roll. I just can’t wait. My ankle is about 95 per cent. I’m going through regular physical therapy just to get the strength back, but I’m ready. I’m excited to play again. It’s been a long time for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment