Monday, May 17, 2010

May 17: Outcome Meaningless: Forney Still Happy With What He Sees

FARGO, N.D. – Winnipeg Goldeyes manager Rick Forney was prepared to ignore the first inning of Sunday night’s pre-season game at Fargo’s Newman Outdoor Field.

His starter, Mark Holliman, had just been lit up for six runs on five hits as the Goldeyes were eventually crushed 10-0 by the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks and yet, Forney was more interested in the big picture. Spring training games are designed for evaluation and Forney still has a bit of evaluating to do before his final cuts are made.

“Overall, I’ve been really happy with the pitching,” the manager said, matter-of-factly. “I like our catchers and I know we have some very good hitters, we just haven’t hit the ball very well in the pre-season. But I’m not worried about it. I think, once we get going, we’ll be very good offensively.

“I think Mark was unlucky in the first inning. We threw away a double play we should have converted behind him and a couple of those hits weren’t hit all that well, they just found holes. It’s pre-season so the score doesn’t matter. The important thing was, I saw some good things from the pitchers tonight.”

The Goldeyes are now 2-2-1 in five pre-season games this spring and they’ll wrap up the exhibition schedule on Monday night in Fargo. In the meantime, Forney still has to make three personnel decisions before Thursday’s 2010 opener against the Lake County Fielders at Canwest Park.

“I’ll make three cuts,” Forney said. “I’ll probably move one pitcher, one catcher and one outfielder. We’ll be down to 21 or 22 by Tuesday morning. We’ll see what happens on Monday night.”

No comments:

Post a Comment