Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 4: For Forney, Camp Will Be Fun, Eye-Opening & Ultimately Difficult

Goldeyes manager Rick Forney isn’t asking for much: Just good weather and a roster full of players in game shape.

If he gets it, Forney says training camp will be a real treat. After all, he needs at least three rookies on his Opening Day roster and that means "some very good players will have to be released."

It’s going to be competitive, to say the least.

"Right now, on Day 1, I’m just keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that we get to about 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius), so we can have a good day on the field," he said.

"I’m just excited to see our guys on the field doing some baseball exercises. We don’t have much time, just two days before our first exhibition game. It’s important that everybody comes to camp in game shape ready to go. If I keep 21 players, I must have three rookies on my roster. If I keep 22 or 23 players I need four. So before camp is over, some good players are going home.

"I’m looking to see who’s prepared to play right away. Baseball is a game of preparation. I want to see the guys who did all that extra work in the off-season and are prepared to play hard right now. In baseball, you just can’t snap your fingers and turn it on. You have to be prepared. I know I have good players here. I’m looking for the good players who are prepared to play hard right now."

Forney said that’s one of the major reasons he likes to get into the pre-season early and play a lot games.

"Because baseball is such a game of preparation, I want these guys to get into their routines right now and be prepared for a long season," Forney said. "With 100 games this year, we’ve done away with four off days. That’s another big reason why I’m looking for guys who are in shape."

Camp opened with 23 players at Canwest Park, but more will be added soon. One pitcher is expected meet the team in St. Paul on Thursday with another expected to meet the team in Sioux Falls on Saturday. As well, reigning NL Pitcher of the Year Ace Walker and rookie returnee Ian Thomas should arrive next week, with yet another pitcher expected the week after next.

That will bring the camp total to 28 players and it will be competitive at almost every position.

"I really have some tough decisions to make," Forney said. "I’m serous when I say there will be some good players who aren’t going to be here."

* * *

For those keeping track, the Goldeyes opened training camp with four rookies: lefty Thomas, two other pitchers named Austin Donmoyer and Casey Hodges and infielder Kendall Price.

"But there is no guarantee that all the rookies will make it either," Forney said. "I could go with 21 players (and he’ll only need three). And we know there will be some releases made all over independent baseball next week. You never know who might come available.

"I’m serious. This will be a competitive camp."

No comments:

Post a Comment